Thursday, August 28, 2008

Dark Superman... riiiiiight...


So I promised myself that my next post will be another one of my well-loved pot shots at GMA… but I missed the train, and took too long before shooting at Gloria’s last S.O.N.A… (which I prefer to refer to as C.R.A.P., or Creatively Redundant Address of the President). And anything I say now would probably sound like a redux of every other commentary pouncing on GMA’s every audacious claim…

So… I pounce upon something totally insignificant to the world… or come to think of it… something less insignificant than GMA’s SONA and far more interesting…

The suits over at DC Comics think they found the alchemic formula for comic movies… “Hey, since the grim and gritty “DARK KNIGHT” made a ton of money and broke box office records, let’s make Supes all dark and gritty, too! We can make Lois Lane a whore, who was a rape victim!”
Please ignore that last sentence up there…
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/poltergeist/news/1751089/weekly_ketchup_superman_gets_rebooted_poltergeist_gets_remade

noo-nee-noo-nee-noo…

oookay… assuming that you’re still reading this crap I’m spitting out and haven’t decided to dip further into the Rottentomatoes archives like I would’ve done, let’s get on with more…

One of the best Superman renditions of late is “All Star Superman,” where Grant Morrison and company go retro-sci-fi on Mr. Kent and remind us how a character like Superman with all his mythological baggage can not only be entertaining, but possibly even relevant… relevant in the sense that Superman can return to being a vehicle for the fantastic, the cosmic, and the strange… something where disbelief is not required for one to be entertained, but it will be overlooked in favor of chin-rubbing, provoked thoughts and even a slap on one’s own forehead to cheer such imagination for imagination’s sake…
"....Grant Morrison and company go retro-sci-fi on Mr. Kent and remind us how a character like Superman with all his mythological baggage can not only be entertaining, but possibly even relevant…"

http://golangco.blogspot.com/2008/02/delayed-book-review-all-star-superman.html

Dear Mr. DC Suits… I mean… come on… Superman in a darkly hued suit, purplish hues, flying through to supposedly save the day… man, if someone dressed up like a faggot dominatrix in purple leather comes flying at me while I’m hanging on for dear life on a building ledge, I’d fucking let go…!

Call Grant Morrison for the next Superman movie… Heck, if I had the man’s number, I’d call him for you just to save the world from what already sounds like a lousy movie…

No comments: