Saturday, January 12, 2008

BEE Lightly Entertained... Movie Review: BEE MOVIE


Let me begin by saying that one of the last people I expect to get environmental advice from is Jerry Seinfeld. But hey, people grow up, right? I’m talking about me, not Jerry, by the way.

As a grand sucker for the eye candy products of CGI animation, and supplemented by the added edge of a stand-up comic at the level of Mr. Seinfeld, “Bee Movie” seemed like a no-brainer for me.

As always, Dreamworks delivers on the visual quality of the thing, and the whole theme park approach complete with the Spanish translated ride instructions didn’t escape me either. The cinematography makes it quite obvious that we’re going to find a 4-D Bee Movie attraction at the Universal Studios park real soon.

What I like about this movie is that it didn’t rely too much on pop culture puns to “bee” entertaining. Of course it has its share, with notable vocal “appearances” by Sting (riiiight), and Ray Liotta (this one I honestly didn’t get…). Larry King appears (yet again). Everybody just loves this guy, huh?

Renee Zellweger’s raspy girl next door voice fit her character perfectly, Matthew Broderick’s dorky best friend routine went well, and the sparse appearance of Chris Rock as a mosquito added a few highlights as well. And yes, Sting just totally nailed for me, man. (I’m a fan, dude…) Oddly enough, only after checking the voice cast credits did I find out that they had Oprah, Cathy Bates, and a few other notables on the payroll as well. I mean… uhm… cool… right? Having Oprah around in something like this should be totally cool, right. BUT ONLY IF THEY USED THESE BIG NAME TALENTS A BIT MORE.

The whole ecological balance thing was a nice way to try and add some moral weight to the story. The operative word being “try.” But I guess that’s better than nothing.

Did I waste my time? Nah, I honestly enjoyed it. I wasn’t asking for much more anyways. If I want a nice, deep and memorable movie, I’d grab a copy of Schindler’s List or something.


Here's the "better" of the trailers they did for BEE MOVIE:


No comments: