Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Unfortunate Events (#2660)

We were at the tail-end of the first day’s shoot at our client’s steel processing plant. I was tired, and my voice was hoarse…

One of the last few shots to be taken were a row of welders, who had to light up in unison for that kick ass shot with the orchestral welding light effects. Then we started to relay instructions to those wiry Neanderthals with the sparkly power tools. It seemed simple enough: “everyone straighten out the girders before you, put your goddamned welding masks on, and on the count of three, everyone light up like the Fourth of fucking July!”

They couldn’t get the bloody choreography right, and I was beginning to seriously wonder if they understood the simple mix of English and Tagalog that I was screaming at the top of my lungs.

After over four tries, I walked all the way to the end of the row and waved my arms like a windshield wiper to try and get the welder’s attention. Then the welder looked up at me, flipped his mask open, and smilingly opened his mouth in that autistic inquisitory manner, then proceeded to point at his ears, which had… earplugs.

At that point, I was already hoarse, even more tired than when we started, and my shoulders were slouched in defeat. Then someone brought in a whistle. Riiiight…

We eventually got the shot right. Here it is…

Word of advice to people who say no one listens: check for ear plugs.

No comments: