Friday, January 04, 2008

Props for Richard Page of Mr. Mister



Don't ask, because I honestly don't have an explanation.
But if you ever have one of those days when you have a song that you played to death on a car tape deck until the sound was practically muffled from wear suddenly stream into your head... and you get that tilt-the-head-in-an-autistic-manner-then-smiling like-an-idiot moment... then you must know how I feel...

The melodic culprit happens to be a song called "The Best Thing" by Richard Page from his solo album "Shelter Me" that came out last 1996. Damn good album that sank without a fucking trace...

Richard who? Richard Page is/was best known as the lead singer and bass player of 80's fixture band Mr. Mister. Also known by music afficionados as the guy who was offered to replace Bobby Kimball when Bobby left Toto, and as the guy who again got offered the chance to replace Peter Cetera when Mr. Cetera woke up and decided that Jimmy Pankow, Lamm and the other guys were dead weight to him. (For the record, I don't think so. I think Chicago is a great band... Still is, even post-Cetera...)

Anyways, like the geek that I am, I did what geeks do when something invades their heads... I google it. So I google Richard Page...

I find a site offering songs at $0.20 each. I end up signing off (electronically anyway) the minimum credit purchase of $15 out of my credit card to download the goddamn song. Only to find myself having difficulty downloading. But I successfully got to play the whole song in streaming audio... Wrote them for customer support, got the song, and posted it in youtube. Here it is:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Udnvlm5Y8nQ

And for those who actually know the above track and find it anemic (which it somehow is, but I personally find it a catchy kind of anemic), I'm posting below a link to a live performance by Richard Page and his band, Mr. Mister.
It'll give you a good idea why this guy was invited to practically lead two of the biggest bands of the past century.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=dOq9v4fAEo0&feature=related

Enjoy the links and don't ignore those streaming-in-your-head moments. Somehow, the song and the memories it brought back, even if only in streaming audio, were worth all the trouble...

No comments: